Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Bose model: Lifestyle 5 Music Center connected to

Customer Question

I have a Bose model: Lifestyle 5 Music Center connected to my LG tv via an optical converter. I was able to adjust the sound on the Lifestyle 5 Music Center previously but after making some changes in the tv settings I can no longer do so. The remote is working as it will tun off and on (even via the remote). I cannot adjust the volume on the Lifestyle 5 Music Center even manually now. I cold previously.
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: yes, I have tried a number of things.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: tv menu works fine
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it has been since I started trying to adjust the external Lifestyle 5 Music Center. I was previously able to adjust the volume via the remote on the Lifestyle 5 Music Center. I believe the problem is due to a setting I inadvertantly changed on the tv
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Can you please try a basic hard reset of the equipment by unplugging the TV, the Bose and the Cable Box from power for 5 minutes and then plug them back in and let me know if the system resets?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Are you still having the same problem?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is still resetting. Building the scheduler list now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That did not fix the problem.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Does the bose main unit respond to its own onboard volume buttons?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, it does not but I can change the input, off, etc. both via the unit and the remote.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for checking.

This indicates a problem with the bose system itself, which is more than just a setting.

There is no setting that would lock out the volume from changing entirely.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the main unit, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks. I will give that a try.
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you.

Let me know the results and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That did not help, Nathan. Any further ideas?
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for trying,

unfortunately, that does confirm that there is internal hardware damage, though that is not surprising to see on a unit this age (it is 20 years old at this point), it is significantly (many times) past its service life.

This would require repairs, but repairs for these units are simply not feasible, there are no parts for them and labor alone is going to be many times the value of the system. While it would be possible to buy a used receiver unit to replace yours, it is probably time to move on to a new system at this point. I can help with repair options if you'd like though, used/parts options, or recommending replacements. Just let me know.

My apologies for the news,