Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

Samsung LN46C530F1FXZA. Red standby light blinks 5 times

Customer Question

Samsung LN46C530F1FXZA. Red standby light blinks 5 times when turning set on, but no picture.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Samsung LN46C530F1FXZA. Maybe 5 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No picture
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Quite a while. Nothing unusual happened. No power problems. Set was on UPS.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the delay! A new design was put into place by the website that is blocking prompt replies to some customers. Regardless, I will do my best to provide you with excellent service. I have been helping people on this site since 2009. My main goal is to add you to the growing list of satisfied customers.

I see you were chatting with the site assistant. I am reviewing those details now and would like to hear from you asap so that I know you are ready to proceed.

NOTE: If you see a pop up for phone call service, it was not sent by me and I am not available by phone.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ready
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Are you attempting to repair the tv yourself? If so, what have you done so far? research, testing, parts? And do you own a DMM and have previous experience testing live voltages on circuit boards?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is a TV that was being discarded by my company. If I can get it repaired, I am going to give it to a local church. When turning it on, I get a little chime sound, and five blinks of the Standby light. A few minutes later, I get another chime and the light goes off. I can test voltages with a DMM.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Take the back off the tv, measure the DC voltages on the power board connectors. This model has several configurations, so I don't know which board(s) your tv has unless you give me board numbers or post photos. You are looking for 5v, 12v, 24v, etc when plugging in the power cord/pressing power button. Reply back with your voltages and board numbers/photos.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

If this doesn't sound like something you want to attempt, let me know so I don't spend time waiting for you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here are photos of the two boards.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

So you probably have good 5v since the tv is trying to turn on. You can test the 13/18v line on the 18 pin connector. You can also test the 12v and High Voltage output to the backlights on the 7 pin connector.

We want to know if the voltages are steady or jumping around while you are applying power and the tv is trying to turn on.

Also want to know if the backlights are flickering on at any point (this might only be seen in a dark room).

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Which pins do I need to check for the 13/18V and the 12V/HV?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Sorry the 7 pin connector is not the HV to the back lights, I think that goes to the Tcon board....

The board has labels printed right on it that tells you which pin is supposed to be what voltage.

Also we are not disconnecting any connectors during these tests, so you have to get your meter probe down into the pin of the connector.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Gotcha. I have a conference call for the next hour or so, and them I will get my DMM and make the tests.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
12.28V on the 13V
5.17V on the 5V
12.21V on the 12VNot sure where the high voltage connection is.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Do the back lights ever flicker or come on at any point? (probably can only be seen in a dark room)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The only sign of light that I see is from the Standby light on the front.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Please try this:

-unplug tv power cord

-disconnect the wiring harness from the 18 pin connector CN802

-plug in the tv power cord

Do the symptoms change? Does the tv try to turn on? Do the backlights come on?

After test, unplug tv power cord and re-attach the wiring harness on CN802.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing comes on with CN802 disconnected.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Next test you will need a short piece of wire to jump across pins on that connector:

-unplug tv power cord

-disconnect the wiring harness CN802 from the OTHER end, so that the wiring harness is hanging off the power board

-place a jumper across pin 18 (POW ON) and one of the 5V pins

-plug in the tv power cord

After test, unplug tv power cord remove jumper, re-attach wiring harness.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I assume that the two pins in question are the bottom left two pins on the smaller (green) board. If so, then nothing happens when the two pins are jumpered together.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
or the bottom right two pins on the cable...
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Can you see the printing on the power board that tells you which pin is 18 POW ON ? and which pin(s) are 5V ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also assume that this diagram (photo attached) is looking IN to the connector on the power board, which means that on the power board, these are the two bottom right pins.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Ok, when you are applying power with that jumper in place, does the meter read 5v on pin 18 ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
5.18V
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Given all the information gathered so far, I would suggest you replace the Main board first. That is the board with the audio/video jacks. These boards are not easy to find in stock and may only be available on ebay used. If you see any part numbers on that board, I can try to help you find one. Usually starts with BN94 or BN96.....

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My boards numbers are BN44-00418A and BN41-01477C
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry. There is a sticker on the green board with number BN96-15887A.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Refurbished $125:

http://www.ptselectronicsinc.com/bn96-15887a/

Used $65:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192062727959

Check return policies with sellers, just in case!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The eBay board is a different color and a different part number on the board, but the same part number on the sticker, so I guess it will work.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

samsung is notorious for using different part numbers for the same part. if the connectors look the same then it should work.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have ordered the replacement board, which should be here by Friday. As soon as I get it installed, I will let you know.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

sure

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I replaced the main board, and am still having the same problems. Five blinks when I turn it on, and no sign of picture or backlight.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Can you post a photo of the entire back of the tv showing all the boards in the shot.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will post a photo on Monday. I had to leave the office today because of sleet and freezing rain.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

no problem

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Photo of the back of the TV attached...
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

We can try this:

-disconnect tv power

-disconnect ribbon cable that goes from Main board (on left) to Tcon board (on bottom under shielding)

-plug in tv power

-observe

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I get the startup sound and six blinks, but nothing else.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Ok, reconnect that and try:

-unplug tv power

-disconnect the LOW VOLTAGE multipin connector going to the board on the far right (not the HV 2pin)

-plug in tv power

-observe

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
With the ribbon cable unplugged?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

no, reconnect the other ribbon cable

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Seems to be the same thing.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 3 months ago.

Well, I am completely out of ideas. I will bow out and allow all the other experts here chime in.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay. Thanks for your help. At least we know what the problem isn't... ;o)
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does the backlight burn out?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure I understand the question.