Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My blue ray wont play blue ray movies, it freezes up after

Customer Question

My blue ray wont play blue ray movies, it freezes up after about 40 minutes of play. It will play normal dvd's and cd's but just not blue ray dvd's. I see that i might have to download firmware onto a usb and install it into my blue ray to download, would that be correct to do?
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Give me a minute
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes the tv menu works. No i don't believe i do have that problem.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It's abut 6 yrs old and it's been an issue always. I believe the model # is AH64-05291A
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: its a 5.1 CH Blu-ray HT -- BC5500/XAC
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. Even though it works fine for others, the bluray laser is separate from the regular one. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.