Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a red line going down the screen, UN55HU9000FXZA,

Customer Question

I have a red line going down the screen
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: UN55HU9000FXZA
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: 2014, oct
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Started yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

If you bring up the samsung menu screens, do those show over top of the line, or behind the line?

Does the line ever move or change size or color?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's to the corner of the tv.....away from menu pop up,
Does not move or change
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You still there ?
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

So it is a vertical line? Or from corner to corner?

Would you be able to send me a picture?

Note: the site is not instant, please allow time for messages to come through and me to respond.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok sure...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Vertical line... image added
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Okay it looks like the line is there on the built in smart apps too, correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's on the tv...as soon as it turned on....irrespective of the source
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty tcon board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points including the lcd panel (screen) itself, which is not possible to fix. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising either, as this type of fault often comes up after a few years with these tvs.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. If it turns out to be the panel, you'd be out these repair costs and still unable to fix.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty with the latest 4k picture quality in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is a 55inch curved 4K TV already.....
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please recommend a repair shop....
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Yes I know it is, the later models are 4k also, they just have some better upscaling/processing.

What is your zip code?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
28306
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you,

Here are the closest licensed repair options: http://bit.ly/2iBy1Ie

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.