Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

There is power as the center word Vizio lights up but

Customer Question

There is power as the center word Vizio lights up but neither the remote (with new batteries) nor the commands on the side of the tv respond. The screen remains black. It is model M3D460SR well out of warranty. I simply want o know if it is now junk or do you have a trick to wake it up!! Thanks
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Age is probably around 6 years and the front cover calls it a theater 3D HDTV with Vizio internet apps. Model number in 1st message
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: nothing works. It had been connected to my Cable box receiver, did not work, then I disconnected that, no response. I also contacted the cable compnay, sent a techie to my home, tested their receiver on their small test tv and that worked.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: For about 2 weeks before Xmas, the TV would simply stop, I'd re-boot the cable box and lucky that the tv started up. Then Xmas eve, it stoppped completely.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did switch a tv from another room into the living room and all is fine so it is this one uunit not working.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Short answer: Tv is junk, buy a new one.

Long answer: Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. These vizio tvs are built for a certain price point, not for quality or reliability. It is normal for them to last just a few years at best, ***** ***** is already far past what we'd expect from them.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.