Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

It appears that I have lost the lamp input. Picture is clear

Customer Question

It appears that I have lost the green lamp input. Picture is clear and colors look good except when heavy green input is needed. The grass on a football field looks "grey". Also tree leaves appear "grey" or bluish-grey"
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Bought in 2001. It is a 56H80.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menu works and source makes no difference
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Going on about 6 weeks or so. Was watching a NASCAR race and noticed track banner was "blue" and car colors were wrong. I have adjusted to tolerable but green items are off shade. Not sure if it happened when turned the TV on or if if happened while on.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Picture clarity is great for such an old TV. Other colors look good. Convergence works fine.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 months ago.

Hi. I'm Steve and I will be assisting you today. I've been here since 2005.

*** Please note that I cannot take a call right now*** - the site is sending you those prompts, not me. If you need phone support, I can opt out and another expert will help you.

Ok, let's see what we can do here.

With the TV on and displaying a picture, go around the back and you should be able to peer into the back of the set and see the three color guns. Do you see the green one at all?

Let me know.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can detect the red and blue but don't see a green glow.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 months ago.

Ok. So your green gun has most likely failed. Not uncommon with TVs of this vintage.

It could be something simple like a failing component or the actual gun itself may have finally croaked. To find out which, you would need to dive in there and figure it out. Of course, without TV repair experience, and on a set like this, that is going to be a daunting task. It is also quite dangerous as these old CRT based sets use 30,000 volts to generate the picture and touching the wring part can ruin your day.

The other bad news is that no TV repair outfit is going to touch this set. Parts just aren't available.

In all honesty, the best advice I can give you is to cut your losses and find a replacement.

I can help you with that and 50" TVs are very cheap these days. Especially during sales.