Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My Sony Bravia KDL40EX640 screen froze as I was loading a

Customer Question

My Sony Bravia KDL40EX640 screen froze as I was loading a Netflix TV show. When I pressed Home to return to my regular TV (Direct TV) the screen went black/blank and no matter what I press on either my Sony remote or Direct TV remote, nothing changes. I can turn Direct TV off, but cannot turn Sony TV off. What should I do?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Sony? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is almost four years old. Mode KDL-40EX640
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No. The menu will not come up
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just this evening as I turned on Netflix to watch on my Sony TV and as I load a show on Netflix, the screen froze. I described what happened initially in my first comment box
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no... other than ....is there going to be a charge for this service?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

First yes this is paid support and you have already paid the agreed upon fee to the site to get to this point.

Initially can you please unplug power to the tv for a minute, replug, and let me know if that brings the sony back to normal?