Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Trying to hook up cable and i can not seem to get it to

Customer Question

trying to hook up cable and i can not seem to get it to work
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 50PFL5601/F7
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it is a new tv got it for christmas trying to set it up and i am not doing so good
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: we have called he cable told us it was hooked up right and the tv we repladced was working find
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that, after hooking up the cable to the TV's cable Input port, you need to go to the TV's MENU

(using either the Menu button on the TV itself, or the MENU Button on the TV's remote), then go to

Input Source

or

Signal Source

and select the Cable/Antenna or similar option.

That way, you ought to be able to then, still using the MENU system, to go to Scan For Channels, and get all the channels available tuned in on your new TV.

Does that work for you? if not, or if so, please let me know - so that I can either give you more help until the problem is solved, or else close this case. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Did following my advice get the TV working? if not, what is it showing on screen?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can not believe I am paying for this because that is what I have been doing all night that did not help at all
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am about to give up

What cable provider do you have? perhaps you need to contact them. To check on your service being active.

Does your cable service have a cable box?

What error shows on your TV screen? if any.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Never mind

OK - someone else from JustAnswer may be calling your shortly, perhaps. I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts here.

Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, the specs for this model does not include capability for digital cable TV. If your cable provider uses QAM then it would not work if the cable feed is directly connected to the Philips' ANTENNA IN.

On the other hand, if there is a cable box, then re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of this cable box. Additionally, please describe how the cable box is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).