Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a kdf-e55a20 tv. we were watching it and it quit

Customer Question

I have a kdf-e55a20 tv. we were watching it and it quit working, the screen went blank. the red power light flashes six times and keeps repeating. I have unplugged it for five minutes several times and plugged it back in and it still does the same thing
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it is a sony kdf-e55a20 , feb 2006
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no it won't power up, the green light flashes and then the red light keeps flashing six times repeatingly
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it happened a couple of hours ago, we were watching tv and all of a sudden there was a click and the screen went blank and the red light started flashing
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty circuit board (power supply or control board)) inside the tv. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. At this point the tv is over double its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, with the latest 4k picture quality in the $500 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,