Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Vizio E70i-A3. I know there are manufacturers defects with

Vizio E70i-A3. I know there are manufacturers defects with some of these where the panel goes bad and exhibits some of the behavior im seeing. I would really like to do everything I can to try to make this one work, I'm hoping its the tcon, or possibly main, am willing to try buying replacement boards if necessary, but need to do the homework on testing voltages and stuff to try to make it work. Or adjusting ribbon cables, whatever it takes. So it turns on, backlights come on. LED indicator on

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Do you get any graphics on screen?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Nope, none at all. So what happens with this one is it turns on, lights up the backlights and LED indicator....no logo or menu. Everything stays on, but the backlights get a little dimmer. It responds to remote control, and when you hit the remote, the backlights get bright again (seems like normal dimming function, not LED failure). When you get to the i put that has a source, you get sound and everything works...volume up and volume down, etc. The backlights STAY bright when it is on a source. All backlights seem lit in all events....no individual dim spots that look like LEDs burnt out or anything....Unit doesnt shut off in any event. I am willing to buy replacement board(s), if our testing determines I should, but they are VERY expensive so I need to be SURE before buying boards.

Im going to post the next question, then i have to go out and run thise errands. It will take no more than 2 hours and ill be back home and ready to hit it hard. I know we've been at it for a while, but if you can stay with me tonight, brother, i will tip you for each one along the way, and a nice fat tip next friday when i have worked a couple more shifts. I have another 5, or 6 (2 of which are 26", simple pictures, very VERY quick) that we can start tonight along with addressing these ones we've already begun, and i will have no distractions so we can work very quickly. Ok, so im gonna post one more before I go run thise errands, i'll wait to make sure youve picked it up before I leave.

I'm working on this Vizio question and waiting for your next question as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

No problem, I figured these 3 questions were perfect to get started before my errands, since they might take a little time for you to research. I really need to knock out as many of these tvs as possible tonight, for space and financial reasons. But with what we're going to get done tonight, plus following up on all the questions from a month ago, should be a LOT of excellent service ratings payments for ya tonight, and a nice $40 or $50 tip for you this friday/weekend.

Thanks, ***** ***** t-con board issue in this TV, there is a chip fuse located on t-con board for 12V supply near the connector of one flat ribbon cable, please check that fuse, if blown/ open then put new fuse from any other damaged t-con board and check the result.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Sweeeet, k, im back home, gonna hit it hard, starting with that philips

I think it is Vizio TV -:)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Yes, this 70" is a Vizio. The last 3 questions i opened are on seperate tables strewn throughout the house, lol, so they can all be worked on at same time. The philips is in workroom, so since i KNOW i have at least one bad cap, I'll start there, then get to this vizio, and hopefully by then we know what we're doin on the two plasmas

ah OK, please take your time.

Ed, I need to go offline now, some thing has come up, will reply you after few hours.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good, I totally understand, we've been working together since this morning/afternoon. I had to eat and feed the critters. My fiance and I have 5 bearded dragons (more on the way), 2 frilled dragons (more on the way), 3 crested geckos (more on the way) and 3 ferrets. And a 15 pound cat, lol. Thanks for all your time, look forward to working with you some more soon as youre back on. I have results on the philips, and by the time youre back will have results on the other 3 and more rdy to post questions on.

Wow, you have zoo in house.

I'll be online after 3 hours and will message you again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Lol, yeah, somethin like that. We are getting into reptile breeding. There is some goooooood money in it. Kk, look forward to it, Im still awake and workin

Hi Ed, I'm back and online.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Ok. I just got back home, I'm going to catch a nap for a few hours, hopefully we can catch up later tonight and get goin.

Sure, I'm online now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Dont remember where its at on the t-con board, but i tested the only fuse on there and it tested good. So what now, order a replacement tcon?

If you get 12V on that fuse then yes, swap the t-con board as first thing to verify the display panel.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Yup, 12.12v on both sides of fuse, and fuse tests NOT blown/open.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

You have another fresh question

I got it and replied.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Swapped the t-con, got same symptoms. Im GUESSING the main board is okay cause its outputting sound...is there any way to test video signal out from main board? And out from the lvds cables where they connect to the t-con? I want to be very very sure that this IS the display panel that's bad. And I opened another question for ya, too, brother

Ed, only check is signal waveform through oscilloscope but should have sample waveform image as reference, in other words you should have waveform sample image printed on service manual (not exist so far) and use oscilloscope to check video output signal goes to t-con board/ LVDS cable.

I got the other question and replied.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Only different behavior I get with this t-con board is that the tv shuts itself down after about 1 minute. That didnt happen before. Does that indicate anything?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Also, I do notice some patches that are darker than the rest on the backlight. Is there a scenario where a few backlights being out would cause it to turn on but not display a picture for the menu or any of that? Is there a button combination that does a factory reset on this unit?

This happens if different version t-con board installed and main board couldn't communicate with it thus switch Off and goes into protection mode.

Backlights doesn't interfere in video signal processing and screen should display some thing with few bad backlights.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Eesh, so this tcon board isnt the right one anyway....so its not a valid test to see if that is the problem.

Well it seems this t-con isn't identical or has internal issue.

Did you check the numbers of both t-con boards?