Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

I have a Mitsubishi rear projection 65" 1080i TV. I had it

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi rear projection 65" 1080i TV. I had it serviced a few years ago and the tech adjusted the screen size so it cuts off the perimiter of the screen so I can only see part of the edges. When watching football the scorebox on the edge of the screen is only partially visible. I need to shrink the screen slightly so I can see the edges of the picture
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Mitsubishi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I bought it in 2001
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The TV menu works and I still have the original remote that also works
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Two years. It started right after the tech that came to fix a power problem "adjusted" the picture
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 22 days ago.

Hello

Welcome

First, reboot the Cable/SAT box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. Upon rebooting,
if the screen aspect is still incorrect, then look for the following buttons on the Cable/SAT remote:

Aspect

Format
Zoom
HD Zoom
Ratio
(#) symbol under the 9 key
Find any buttons with those labels and use them to attempt to correct the picture size. Let me know what happens.

Anthony

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
This isn't a cable box format issue. This was caused by a tech that used the TV remote to expand the picture size. I just did a factory reset on the TV itself that improved the problem slightly. The edges of the picture are still not quite readible, so when a network puts a scorebox in the corner of the screen, I can't see all of it.It's not as extreme as a picture format issue. I think a TV menu adjustment of the picture size is what I need to do. If the picture image was one or two percent smaller, it would fit perfectly
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I need to access the service menu with a code like Menu 2457, but don't know how to do that

I will need the model number found on the back of the set?

So you are saying a tech altered the service menu settings originally?

There really ordinarily is mo need to enter the service menu so you can see the pic correctly that is changing the factory settings there is no need to do that

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Model is WS-65869.A tech fixed a power supply problem caused by a power surge. While he was here, he adjusted the picture alignment and picture size. He thought he was doing me a favor by making the image larger, but it cuts out any box scores that are near the edge of the picture

But you see he really could only have altered the formats?if he did anything else he should not have done those settings are factory preset and neve need adjustment, I think you should try the formats first before doing anything ,note what you are doing so you can get back to square 1 ,in most cases altering the box format should change this to the way it should be, if not let me know

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
He brought up a test pattern and I watched him use the TV original remote to expand the picture. I could see the grid lines expanding in all directions toward the edge of the picture. I have done a reset to factory settings, but the screen is still just slightly too large to fit in the viewable section of the screen. I need to undo what he did. I have seen a recommendation to use a service menu 2457 to get into a service mode that allows the adjustment of the screen size.
Expert:  Dan replied 16 days ago.

Sorry you've been waiting so long.... are you still looking for help on the Mitsubishi?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
if you can help me undo what the service tech did when he enlarged my TV picture.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'm still waiting for help on the Mitsubishi. So far I've been charged the initial $5.00 plus $23.95 with no answer to the problem. Anthony, the previous JustAsk tech was no help. He sent me to you. I still need to know how to adjust the picture size on my Mitsubishi.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Dan - I can't rate your service until I receive some service. Still no reply from you after Anthony "punted" it to you.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have received no help with my problem with my Mitsubishi 65" Rear Projection TV. Dan keeps messaging me asking if I need more help. I NEED MORE HELP. No one has been able to help me reduce the size of my picture so I can see what is on the perimeter of the screen. IT IS NOT A FORMAT PROBLEM AS ANTHONY WAS TRYING TO TELL ME.