Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

There is no sound. I want to connect hitachi 57f59a

Customer Question

there is no sound. I want to connect hitachi 57f59a projection screen, amazon prime tv, & dvd surround
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hitachi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 8-10 years hitachi 57f59a
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes, no
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: before I got it
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: there is no sound. I want to connect hitachi 57f59a projection screen, amazon prime tv, & dvd surround
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
there is no sound. I want to connect hitachi 57f59a projection screen, amazon prime tv, & dvd surround. how do I make this happen?
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...dvd surround..." Additionally, please describe how the dvd surround is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
can you help me
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Hi again ,

As posted above; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...dvd surround..." Additionally, please describe how the dvd surround is connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
hitachi 57f59a projection screen. using hdmi from dish receiver to tv, a/v cablesfrom dish to dvd surround. want to switch out dish to amazon prime tv, but when I change from input 3 for dish which has sound through dvd surround. to input 1 for the amazon tv I can't seem to get the right connections to include sound
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

...and the model number of the surround system please?

Still, is there sound from the TV itself?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
no sound from tv
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Please help me visualize:

• Dish receiver using HDMI cable to the Hitachi and there is video and audio on the Hitachi itself;
  • Dish receiver using a pair of red & white RCA-to-RCA cables to the DVD surround and there is sound from the DVD surround speakers;
  • how is the Amazon Prime TV receiver connected to the Hitachi using what kind of cables?
  • can you provide clear pictures of the Amazon Prime TV receiver and the Hitachi connection jacks & ports / panel? click HERE.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
amazon prime has an hdmi , Ethernet, & power. tried to hook hdmi from amazon prime to tv I get picture. a/v cable from tv to dvd surround
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

On "...tried to hook hdmi from amazon prime to tv I get picture..." but no sound?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
we aren't getting anywhere so I'm gonna cancel membership. looks like your offline now
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Sorry but I am receiving incomplete if not conflicting information hence to constantly review the above:

• re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...dvd surround..." ;
  • a/v cablesfrom dish to dvd surround then a/v cable from tv to dvd surround.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
hitachi 57f59a projection screen tv, dvd surround xv-thg31, amazon fire tv
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Have you tried / can you please re-try:

• hdmi from dish receiver;
  • from the TV's AUDIO TO Hi-Fi L-AUDIO-R using a pair of red & white RCA-to-RCA cables to the JVC's INPUT R-AUX-L jacks;
  • use JVC remote's INPUT button to select AUX;
  • determine if there is audio from the JVC speakers;
  • if yes, turn OFF, remove Dish receiver and replace with Amazon Fire TV;
  • turn On and determine if there is audio from the JVC speakers;

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
should the hdmi cable that goes into the amazon fire tv go to the dvd surround or the tv
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

From the Amazon Fire TV's HDMI port to the Hitachi TV's HDMI INPUT port.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
did that I get picture and no sound now
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

"...did that I get picture and no sound now..."; please complete the statement....thanks

No sound on the JVC speakers or from the TV?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
correct
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
tv sound is not working hence the use of the surround unit
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Thanks again for this information; tv sound is not working hence the use of the surround unit.

BUT there was sound from the JVC speakers when it was the Dish receiver that was connected to the Hitachi TV's HDMI INPUT port?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Then it would appear to be an issue with the Amazon Fire TV itself rather than the connections.

Have you considered / tried a RESET of the Amazon Fire TV ?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
like unplugging it and plug it back in?
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Sorry no.

Press and hold the Select and ► Play/Pause buttons of the remote control at the same time for about 10 seconds.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
ok, be right back
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
no luck
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
it reset & still no sound
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I had also tried putting a/v cable from tv to surround unit at one time
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

This would confirm the Amazon Fire TV issue.

Are you able to go to the Fire TV's settings? Settings > Display and Sounds > Audio > Dolby Digital Output > Select Dolby Digital Plus OFF or Automatic or a setting/selection that may work ?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
i'll try
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Yes please.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I did that & selected dolby digital output still get no sound. should I go through each of the other selections
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Yes please; in most instances it would be with the Dolby Digital Plus OFF.

You may even need to turn off the TV after the settings and unplug the Amazopn Fire TV for a few seconds, beforeplugging back in and turn back on the TV.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
ok
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
powered both off & on tried the other options still not getting sound. uhg!
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Please confirm; setting for Dolby Digital Plus is set to OFF ?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I put it back on that setting
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Then it would confirm an internal issue with the Amazon Fire TV and/or a compatibility with the Hitachi.

Is it possible to try / test the Fire TV with another HDMI capable TV?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
oh maybe tomarrow I could barrow a friends tv to find that out
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

An update when able please.

This would then serve as a test by process of elimination; Fire TV itself or a compatibility with the Hitachi.

Since there is video, there is still a hopeful / possible workaround with the Fire TV but would need inexpensive add-on device for the audio setup.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Tomorrow or when possible.

...and Happy New Year!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
most likely the compatibility with the hitachi
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Yes likely.

But as posted, a hopeful workaround.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
you have a Happy New Year! also . thank you for your help.
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

Cheers.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
= ) good night!
Expert:  Louie replied 18 days ago.

This may be of interest as a workaround...

There are devices that "extracts" the audio from an HDMI signal. Please click HERE. The idea is to plug in the HDMI source to this device (extractor) and the output these devices to the TV still by HDMI BUT also provide another output that is analog red & white RCA jacks.

There are even versions that allow multiple / selectable HDMI sources. Click HERE.

This latter version may then accomodate all the Amazon Fire TV, the Dish receiver and even the DVD player HDMI outputs without unplugging anything to change source, still/retain HDMI video quality and more importantly provide audio to the JVC's INPUT R-AUX-L jacks from all sources including the Amazon Fire TV (of course if there is nothing wrong with the Fre TV).