Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

We have sound but no picture, I believe it's just under 3

Customer Question

We have sound but no picture
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: I believe it's just under 3 years old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The screen is dark I cannot see
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It just happened. TV was on, I went to another room and when I came back it was dark
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 20 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 20 days ago.

Could you please get the model number from the back of the tv?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Se65gy25
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No
Expert:  Nathan replied 20 days ago.

Thank you for confirming.

If you hold a flashlight up to the screen, can you make out any images that way?

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session, this is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I can see it says no signal in the center
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok I can see with a flashlight
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I can see the picture when I hold a flashlight to it
Expert:  Nathan replied 20 days ago.

Thanks for checking,

Expert:  Nathan replied 20 days ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply board or backlight array, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These seiki tvs are built for a low price point, not for quality. It is normal and expected for them to last just a few years at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. You can buy a repair kit with the necessary boards for about $100.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand however, if not up for fixing it yourself replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty from a more reputable brand in the $700 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.

Expert:  Nathan replied 14 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.