Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

There are horizontal lines on my tv, It's a Samsung 46 in I

Customer Question

There are horizontal lines on my tv
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Samsung 46 in I got it about 3 years ago
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It happened over night it was working fine the night before then in the morning it just appeared like that. I had that same issue before but I would just change the channel and go back to normal
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Would it be possible to get the full model number from the back of the tv?

Are the horizontal lines always present or do they come and go, move around, change color, etc?

If you bring up the samsung menu screens, do the lines show over top of the menu obscuring it, or behind the menu ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
they are always there. It's more of a split horizontal but I don't get the full picture
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

So you're only seeing the picture on half of the screen (top half or bottom half)?

Can you check the menu please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
UN40J5200AFXZA
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Can you check the menu please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's the same
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've tried resetting the picture but it's still the same
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect. Horizontal lines on this type of tv is always very bad news as it almost always indicates a fault in the lcd panel (screen), though rarely can be from a bad circuit board.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor but that is only for a board issue, if they do that work and then find the panel is bad (the only way to know) you're out that cost and it is not even possible to fix at that point.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll try the resetting first before I go out to someone. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!

To be clear as well, this information I've provided is with the understanding that the samsung tv menus are obscured by the lines too (not showing on top of the lines).

If that is not the case and changing channels relieves the issue, then this is a different type of problem related to a faulty cable/satellite box.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The menu is split like when you print a page but it's too long so it comes out short on one page