Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

No sound, viziovx200e, The TV menu does work. Picture great

Customer Question

No sound
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: viziovx200e
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The TV menu does work. Picture great just no sound
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We were watching tv when suddenly no sound
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

By far the most common cause of this problem, is a glitch in the cable box processing.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.

4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The TV is not hooked up to anything but electrical plug on the wall. There is a screw on antenna on the back of the
set.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay then this means the audio in the TV itself has failed, which requires repairs made to the set in most cases. Try these steps instead:

Disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up with sound.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you still having the same problem?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If you're still having the problem beyond this, then the Mainboard needs to be replaced and that board can be purchased at the link below for just over $30 for your set. It's "plug and play"- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to swap it. ALL audio processing occurs on this board so it's always the root cause when there's no sound:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-3620-0102-0150-main-board.htm

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Alternatively if this is not something you're comfortable with then a shop will typically charge $200 parts and labor for this repair, which is not cost effective on a TV that can be replaced for the same cost. Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need more help. Also, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (3-5 stars at the top of the page) and click SUBMIT so that I am credited for working with you today?