technicalcat
technicalcat, Technician
Experience:  Technician at LocalTechShop
65369237

I have a SHARP LC60LE600U that I am trying to hook to my new

Customer Question

I have a SHARP LC60LE600U that I am trying to hook to my new BOSE ST300 via the digital optical audio fiber cable. When I connect the optical cable to the back of the TV, I do have a red light on the other end of the fiber cable but I have no sound. I have looked through the manual on the TV, but haven't found anything as far as the MENU on the TV that changes anything. Thanks Mike.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 25 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 25 days ago.

- Have you select correct input in sound system so it can get audio signals from TV?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
the sound bar does currently work as I have temporarily connected the sound bar optical audio to my DirecTV box optical audio and I have sound
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I don't mind paying for the phone call if the technician can actually help me......
Expert:  Shahid replied 25 days ago.

Nice, if you wish to connect it to optical output of TV then need to go into Option menu and highlight Output Select and select Variable option, this will enable optical output of TV and soundbar will get audio signals from TV.

I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I did what you suggested, and no still no sound.........now what
Expert:  Shahid replied 25 days ago.

OK, there is another setting in Setup option of TV menu, go to Setup then find Audio Setup option and try PCM or Dolby Digital option to see which one gives sound output.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Currently that is set to PCM and not working, I'm trying to change it now
Expert:  Shahid replied 25 days ago.

OK, try Dolby Digital option that should get you sound output from soundbar.

If still no sound output then it would be some hardware trouble of optical output of TV, red light in optical port doesn't mean it has signal, at this point I would recommend to connect the optical cable into cable box to keep getting sound of channels while watching them on TV.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Ok. Well changing that to dolby did not work.......and I already had it working plugged into the directv box. That doesn't help me with getting my DVD player working with sound.....
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
How do I check the optical output of the TV?
Expert:  Shahid replied 25 days ago.

I understand, you can connect DVD player into analog audio input of soundbar if it has such input, all it needs to switch the audio input in soundbar when watch the DVD player.

Since soundbar works through same optical cable when plug into cable box that confirms the optical output port of TV isn't working for some reason. I would suggest to reset the TV by unplugging its power cord from power outlet for 10 minutes to get TV reset, replug back in and check again. If problem persist then TV main board replacement is next option as there is no further troubleshooting possible because no schematic circuit diagram is provided by Sharp to do component level test/ repair.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have already tried the unplug the TV thing before I tried this.......well this just isn't good....
Expert:  Shahid replied 25 days ago.

I'm sorry about it, either replace the main board of TV to fix the problem or use alternate connection way that I mentioned in previous reply to avoid any repair work to TV.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thanks for your time but nothing you suggested helped at all.......all those suggestions were on chat boards.
Expert:  Shahid replied 25 days ago.

OK, let me repost this question to see if another expert can assist you in better way.

I'm opting out to repost the question.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Can this expert text before he calls, because I'm at work currently and not home, so I can't try his suggestions. Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I hope your not going to charge my card until your expert actually contacts me and we resolve the problem......
Expert:  technicalcat replied 24 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.
I will help you now.

What is actual source of the audio/video you are using when you have this problem? For example, a DSS receiver or DVD player that is connected to the TV with HDMI.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Are you there? I have been out of town on holiday.
Expert:  technicalcat replied 21 days ago.

I am here to help. Please let me know when you are available. Thanks.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Nevermind, returned unit, technical support was too big of a hassle..