Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I am trying to connect it to chromecast and have inserted

Customer Question

i am trying to connect it to chromecast and have inserted this device into the hdmi connector in the back of this tv but it doesn't sense the connection. I notice that someone has taken out the screws that hold the hdmi connector into the tv. Go Figure! Should i go and find some screws to secure it and then try again? Thanks, Gail
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: The model # is LN-R408D
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The tv menu works but will not let me select HDMI under Source. It is greyed out and so are all the other sources choices except for the top one -TV
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I haven't used this tv for perhaps a year... But thought that I could begin to use it with the chromecast. It does work with our old dvd/vcr player that I connected it to last night just to check if it would work
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I bought this tv second hand, it worked fine with the dvd player but I wonder if it was sold because of the hdmi connector screws that are missing.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello Gail,

when you tested the dvd, was that plugged into the same hdmi port?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no,
different ports
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you have any other hdmi input you can test here, so we can check that the tv is actually functional first?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the tv keeps displaying "no signal"
and the menu will not allow me to select anything but "tv" under Source list : inputsall other choices are greyed out: S video, component 1, component @,PC , Hdmi, AV,
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

so how did you use the dvd on it then?

When you are connecting the chromecast, have you connected anything else to the chromecast besides the hdmi cable? Do you have a usb cord plugged into it too?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Connection to the dvd-
There are plugs ; white, red, yellow ones that connect the dvd to the tv. Old school perhaps.The chromecast device is connected to the hdmi on the tv and then is also connected on the opposite side of the chromecast device to a port that connects to the power source.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

OKay so the chromecast is getting power, which is what I was wanting to confirm.

The likely issue here is that the tv has an internal hardware failure (that the hdmi ports are dead) which is why those screws are probably out, someone may have been trying to repair it.

do you have some other hdmi device (another dvd player, a cable box, etc) on another tv that you could plug into this tv via hdmi for testing purposes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I don't.
Perhaps then, I should take it to a tv repair place to fix???
Is it worth it.?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

How about this, do you have a different tv that you could test the chromecast on, so we can see if it is working that way?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have that capability to check the hdmi on other tv's etc. but I thought it was suspicious that in the tv menu i couldn't choose HDMI or the other choices (: S video, component 1, component @,PC , Hdmi, AV) under Source. Don't you? they are all greyed out and i thought that I was not using the menu correctly since I couldn't set the menu up correctly to get these sources selectable.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
according to the chromecast directions we are supposed to switch from the tv input/source to the hdmi port the chromecast is plugged into.
So, it is possible that the hdmi portal is broken but I am not convinced quite yet. I would like to see how to switch from the tv source to hdmi source through the menu guide.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
have we lost our connection, Nathan? I haven't heard back from you in awhile.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Yes I'm here.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

You are doing it properly, it should be letting you pick, if the option in the input list is grayed out, it is because it detects nothing connected on that particular port.

So if you go plug your dvd in for example you should see it on the AV port as an option.

That is why I believe that even with the chromecast connected there is something wrong with the tv.

Testing on another tv would let us check that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think I will need to give up on this tv then. It is good for playing the dvd's but not the chromecast.
Is it worth taking the tv back off and replacing the hdmi port?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

No it is not at all worth fixing.

You'd have to replace the main board. This is a 2005 model tv that is double its service life at this point, it would cost you more to fix it than to buy a new tv.

If you want streaming content, I'd suggest going with a roku express plus that has the old red/white/yellow connections: http://amzn.to/2hXsgAC

it doesn't cost any more than the chromecast, which you could hopefully return or put to use on another tv.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.
Nathana