Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

When i turn it on it flashes on then imediatly shuts its

Customer Question

When i turn it on it flashes on then imediatly shuts its self off
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Let me check. Maybe 2 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: E500
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The screen wont even stay on. And yes it happens with both outlets
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The little white light in the corner turns on when i hit power then slowly fades off
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

That sounds like a vizio tv, but the model number isn't quite right, could you recheck it for me, there should be more to it

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
E500i-b1
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just messeges please
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session, this is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. These vizo tvs are built for a certain price point, not for reliability. It is normal and expected for them to last just a year or two.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
f**k. Well what would be a good replacement?
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

I know, it is unfortunate. This is one of the many "junk" brands on the market (vizio, insignia, proscan, rca, westinghouse, etc) that lure you in with a good price and then they break right after the warranty is up.

I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2dYWKT8

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend 30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session - this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.