Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Turns on for about a second then off, and then just 2 lights

turns on for about a second then off, and then just 2 green lights blink twice then one blinks once. some type of error code I guess
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: sharp lc52e77un
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: turns on for 1 second then off and lights flash.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: been like this for a few weeks. before that it was fine
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you tried unplugging for an extended period of time? ...and then plugging back in but into a different outlet?

And observe if the described "...turns on for 1 second then off and lights flash..." would immediately start upon just plugging back in? ...or only after attempting to turn on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ill try that. Im also trying and old trick that I got on this site where I leave it unplugged for 60 mins, then plug it back in holding the power button for 60 seconds.

Yes please as these would be the only easy user doable tries.

All others would be internal.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok Louie. Let me keep waiting for the 60 mins and Ill try it then. That is about 30 mins more. Thanks

No prob; post back with an update by then or when convenient.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Louie. That reset allows it to now stay on for about 10 seconds, then it cuts off. Now we only have 2 blinking lights instead of the 2 and then 1 blinking code from before. Its an improvement, but its not fixed. May try the reset one more time tomorrow, but looks like we may need a new tv, right?

Hi again,

yes please; try again and update.

I checked the repair/Service Manual and referenced the prescribed troubleshooting steps; a multi-meter would be needed for diagnosis and that the unit be plugged hence hence LIVE!

If not comfortable with a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach, then the service fee may be of a major concern.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, Louie nothing worked. how involved would a check be with a multimeter. what would you say my chances are of fixing this. If super low and parts are rare, then I might be better off just shopping for a new tv. Please advise.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
after the reset, the tv still turns on briefly and shows a picture, then it clicks off

Please confirm the blink pattern / sequence; power LED flashes twice and OPC LED flashes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Now, the power LED and OPC LED are flashing twice.Before the power reset that we tried last night, the power LED and OPC would flash twice, and then the OPC flashed once.

That blink code would be indicative of a low or missing voltage.

Please click HERE.

This calls for the unit to be opened, back/circuits exposed and voltage measured at the designated pin.

A friendly reminder; voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the Sharp be plugged in and therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Cool, im gonna check that. I thought it might be voltage as it seems to stay stable longer / better when plugged directly in. also it sometime stays on until it has to display an input and then it fails when the screen is loaded up and voltage drops.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
which contacts do I check when its open. roger on the live voltage, not a problem. will use care to not get shocked.

Copy that; please click HERE for the schematic diagram.

Preliminary voltage check on pin 3 of IC9606 of the MAIN board.