Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Pioneer Elite I bought more than a few years ago.

Customer Question

I have a Pioneer Elite I bought more than a few years ago. It has been working great with my Sony big screen until now. The Elite has a flashing "HDMI NG" alert associated with all inputs (Tivo, TV etc) and NO picture whatsoever. What does "HDMI NG" mean?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Its a VSX-01 TXH. Im guessing its around 10 years old
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just started tonight. I recycled the Pioneer, then the Sony. I also turned off the TV and amp and then turned on the TV first and then the amp. No change
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, just how to get the TV back on for the Boss.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 9 days ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, "HDMI NG" displayed message would indicate that the Pioneer's built-in diagnostics has sensed that the HDMI circuitry is 'no good'.

Still, have you considered / tried a RESET ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm back. Problem with Pioneer Elite "HDMI NG" message.
Tried to get an answer but for some reason the credit card response was slow to non existentOptional Information:
Make: Pioneer
Model: Elite VZX-01 TXHAlready Tried:
The Elite is around 10 years old. I get no picture on any input with the new "HDMI NG" alert in the window. All I have done is to recycle the TV and amp power.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 days ago.

Let's try review the basics:

• check/replace the HDMI cables;
  • consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: Please click HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.