Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Oh, my Westinghouse went off on its own last night..ihad

oh hi
JA: Hello. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: my Westinghouse went off on its own last night..ihad music channel on ..however I did pres two buttongs ny accident wihen I picked up remote ...
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: tv remote and manual button wont turn it .. I unplugged everything etc.. probably 5 yrs old at most
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: then crazier is when my daughter used the bedroom cable remote it wouldn't work on that and now THAT one doesn't work .. however I can turn on ny manual and use two remostes on that one ..totally diff tv . small flat screenin bdromm so bizare
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: i saw tv picture was gray instead of musuc cha .it said selevt any button that's when i hit two by mistake ...but i don't think it went off til later..this was last night
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: um ..replaced batteries in both ..tred to reprogram remote for living room thinking its timer..i cant turn on LR large flat screen even by button on the tv now

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi k

At this point, are you able to turn the tv on even with the button on the tv itself (on the front/side)?
Can you give me the model number?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nope:(
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hold on pls

Thanks. Take your time, it is printed on a sticker on the back of the tv.

Also, is there a light on the front of the tv, solid or flashing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i see it but tryin to get to it sorry
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
theres a light but not on
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
westinghouse 40T 2rw??

Yes that is it, thanks,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
cwW40 ..

Yes I got it, thank you, ***** ***** just a few moments please to send a detailed answer.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2013 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These westinghouse tvs are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market, being built for a low price point, not for reliability. It is normal and expected for them to last just a year or two, so this one has actually gone longer than it was designed for.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, for under $300.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you!!!!

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!

If replacing, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2gADTk8

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend 30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,