Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Just bought a new vizio 60" hd tv, cannot get the settings

Customer Question

just bought a new vizio 60" hd tv
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: cannot get the settings on what they should be to get the best picture...can you help?
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: im talkin about correct picture mode/color settings
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: vizio d40n-e3 model # just got Friday and im just trying to get the best picture I can get colorwise
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just trying to correctly adjust picture settings
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 days ago.

The model number you sent is for a 40 inch tv, not a 60. If perhaps your model is different let me know.

Initially, I can give you some basic settings as a starting point:

You may need to first set the picture mode to calibration (rather than game, sport, etc)
auto bright: off

backlight 24

brightness 50

contrast 50

color 50

sharp 0

tint 0

color temp normal

all other picture options off

To get the very best picture however, your hdtv really needs to be calibrated. I recommend taking the time to perform the calibration process on any new tv. While there are some preset modes that will give a good picture, there are so many variables between tvs, even of the same make and model due to manufacturing differences, the only way to truly optimize the picture is to use a calibration disc (example: http://amzn.to/1GZmx3b )

Using a calibration disc will ensure you have the proper settings for brightness, contrast, sharp, and color temperature, to match up with the calibration used on the recording equipment, so you will see the picture the way the movie/tv producers intended.

The calibration process is necessary to correct for variations in viewing environment, including viewing height, distance, and angle, as well as ambient lighting, altitude, as well as personal taste. If you prefer not to purchase a calibration disc, you can even burn your own copy for free (example: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496) though you won't receive a violet filter for color adjustment with this option.

I am a professional home theater installer and I insist on calibrating the tv's for every system I install to ensure the customer receives the best possible picture, and recommend that the calibration process is performed on any new tv.

A true calibration involves some specialty equipment like a colorimeter and a laptop with calibration software. You can do a reasonably good job yourself with a calibration disc and your own eyes. Though without using at least a disc, if just trying to guess at settings, you will more often than not end up doing worse than what the built in standard factory settings are. If interested, read more about this concept here: http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/12/the-fruits-of-copying-settings-the-pioneer-lottery/

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Correct model # is d60n--e3....would those previous settings be the same?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 days ago.

Yes, it is the same underlying model and series, just a larger screen, so the same adjustments will apply.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It looks really dark on that setting
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 days ago.

Did you turn off the auto brightness setting?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
but now that you asked it kinda looks better when that's set to high? Is that possible?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 days ago.

Yes it is, ambient light does have some impact on this, and as I explained above every set is different, even within the same model. These numbers are just a starting point, so you can always manually dial up the brightness and backlight some to suit your tastes.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.