Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have an old FD Trinitron WEGA, model #KV-32FV300. My

Customer Question

I have an old FD Trinitron WEGA, model #KV-32FV300. My provider is Fios. Of late, my TV would not come on immediately. Now, it does not come on at all. I see the red standby light, wbich blinks, but the TV does not come on. I understand this is an old model, but is it "done?"
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: I did unplug it, but not for hours, only about twenty minutes at a time. When I turn it on and then off, the standby LED continues to blink, whether the power is on or off.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just today. Was at church and then went for lunch. Got home about 4:00 and tied to watch football and the TV would not come on. TV was great last night, but was delayed turning on.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Know the product is old. Just want to know if there might be a remedy or I should give up and not waste further time or money.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 days ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2002 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; even for a tube based tv, this set is significantly past its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, though realistically parts are not available anyway.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $200 range

I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if you'd like.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 day ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.