Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Pixels appearing on Mitsubishi 837 series starting with 1

Pixels appearing on Mitsubishi 837 series starting with 1 pixel & now up to 18 (white dots). Can this be repaired? TV approx 5-6 yrs old.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Mitsubishi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model WD73837. High gloss 1080
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Appears when TV is turned on--can be seen when picture appears
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just suddenly appeared --1st one for about 10 days ago. Appears that more dots appear after each use
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Purchased in Des Moines, IA from American (no longer in business)

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What you are experiencing is symptomatic of failure of the DLP chip. This is a very common problem with all DLP based tvs. What is happening is that DLP chip, which contains millions of tiny actuated mirrors, starts to freeze up. Those "stuck" mirrors result in a white pixel on the screen. They cannot be unstuck or repaired, the entire dlp chip has to be replaced. You will continue to get more and more dots appearing, until they cover the screen.

There are many blogs and youtube videos detailing the process, if you're inclined to do it yourself, though I would not attempt it unless you are skilled and experienced with electronics repairs – you can easily do more harm than good. It is about a $200 part. About half the time, the underlying formatter board (about another $100) also has to be replaced.If you have a local tv tech out to do it, figure on around $300-500 total for the repair.

Even though it is well past the warranty period, it is also worth a call to mitsubishi. Because this was such a common problem, they will sometimes offer to cover the cost of the part, if you pay the labor costs.

If you'd like, I can help with finding the part, finding a repair shop, or even recommending replacement models if you'd prefer to go with a new tv instead, which may make more sense in the long run.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you. Can you recommend repair service in West Des Moines or Des Moines area?

Unfortunately I don't see any that are right in town, the closest are all about 100 miles away. There may be some, but none that are licensed or certified.

They will likely service it as well, but you may have to take it to them, or expect at least another $150 in trip charges to have them out.

Here are the options: http://bit.ly/2fDhHB7

Here is one I see nearby:

Choice TV
1551 Valley W Dr ·(###) ###-####/p>

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
You were helpful! I will pursue the problem with Mitsubishi. It is a 73 in TV so not too easy to move. Thank you!

You're very welcome!