Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

TV turn on, no sound and black screen. Could it be one the

Customer Question

TV turn on, no sound and black screen. Could it be one the circuit boards
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Insignia 50 inch LCD flat screen
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: two days ago
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I looked at the connections to see if all cables were in place
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Indeed this could be caused by a failure in one of the internal boards. In order to determine this, I need to ask for more info here:

1) What is the full model number off of the back of the Insignia?

2) If you press MENU, does the MENU display?

3) Are there any signs of life on the TV at all (power light lit, screen lights up but stays blackish, etc.)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
NS 32LCD, 1771LC32FB26H02872, Lot #11713 XHT67958
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There's no sign of life, more that the power light being on
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Aric, I am awaiting a response
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello Elvira, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Aric has opted out of the question.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, especially for this brand. These insignia tvs typically only have an expected service life of a few years, at best. It is far past what it was designed for at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $200 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I prefer email. Don't want to pay $26 for a phone call
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session, this is optional and may be ignored if you wish.

I sent you a detailed explanation above, please let me know if you are unable to see it and I'll resend.

The short answer though is that your tv is dead and you need to buy a new one. It would cost more to fix than to replace.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have decided to purchase a new TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the update, that is what I was recommending as well.

I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example:http://amzn.to/2gDdrWq

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend 30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,