Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Trying to set up tv but the tv can't find my wireless

Customer Question

Trying to set up tv but the tv can't find my wireless network
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Just bought it today insignia 32 Roku TV LED 720p 60Hz
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just turned it on and it want connect to my wifi
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No mam
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Is the tv seeing any networks at all?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nope
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Can you give me the complete model number of the tv?
Do you have the roku stick plugged into the side of the tv, and into power?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a wireless TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

I need the model, please.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
NS-32DR310NA17
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** far is the tv from your router?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
20 Feet
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Okay that should be an acceptable range, however the wifi adapters in these tvs tend to be very week, but there may also be a need for a software update, or the tv wifi adapter may actually be faulty right from the factory (a fairly common occurrence with this brand).

Can you, at least temporarily, move the tv next to the router and plug it in with an ethernet cable, so that we can see if it works there, and then do a software update on the tv? After, you can move it back and try wifi again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does not have a Ethernet out put
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On the TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for checking, it appears the specs are wrong for this model.

You can though still try moving it near the router and trying the wifi again.

If it won't connect even then, that means that the internal wifi adapter is defective, and your best recourse at that point is to take it back to the store and have them exchange it for a new one.

If you have the option to to so, I'd recommend replacing with a different model too. These insigina sets are at the very bottom of the quality spectrum and problems like this are just the beginning of what you'll face, and they typically only last a few years at best. For just a little bit more, you can buy a new set from a more reputable brand that will be much better quality and longer lasting. I can recommend some options for that if you'd like.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks on my way back to the store
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

You're very welcome.

I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2g0SbtE

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.