Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Samsung TV optical output has stopped working. Set is

Customer Question

My Samsung TV optical output has stopped working. Set is about 2 years old
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: un60h7150AF
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Everything works. I can use the analog output to get sound. Digital audio output has stopped working.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Not much. We turned on set one day and suddenly had no sound (optical output was wired in). Tried a different optical cable and different ports on the receiver
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's the whole story!
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. The optical output is processed digitally in the set, and the analog- well of course is analog. If the optical stopped (no connections have changed) yet the analog still works, then it's generally caused by a fault on the Mainboard of the TV (which is a replaceable component). That said, have you gone into the audio settings in the set, and performed a Reset?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Also, are you 100% certain that whatever you're connecting the other end of the optical cable "To" is not the root cause of the problem (I'm assuming it's connected to a Home Theater receiver, soundbar, etc.)?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Also, the brand and model of the receiver will help, as some units have processor reset steps that can help fix this. Please reply back with some more info so I can help you.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

I'm here to help you but two way communication is needed to sort what the actual root cause of the problem is. Can you send me a reply back and let me know where you're at right now?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have tried to reset the sound via the TV menu