Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a lg 42pq60d plasma was watching tv & it just when

Customer Question

i have a lg 42pq60d plasma was watching tv & it just when blank & it will not turn on
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: no but leaving it off will this help
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: the tv will not show a picture & all plugs have been checked
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: was watching dvd & the tv when blank
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Are you still getting sound?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no it will not turn on
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is well past its service life, and plasma technology is long obsolete now.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.