Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a Vizio 55 inch TV, model number E550i-B2E. Sometimes

Customer Question

I have a Vizio 55 inch TV, model number E550i-B2E. Sometimes when it its moved around it will show picture but lately when it is turned on the white light in the lower left hand corner will light up but there is no picture and there are no lights lighting up through the back. My assumption is that it is a loss of connection somewhere.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you get sound still?
Can you see the menu screens at all?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I could last night but it was very dark and could only be seen with a light
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Meaning if you held a flashlight up to it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is still sound
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or led array, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These vizio tvs are built to meet a particular price point, not for reliability. It is normal and expected for them to last just a few years at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this brand/age however, replacement will usually make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The reset did not work
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for trying, Zach.

Unfortunately that does confirm a hardware fault and at this point repairs (starting with the poewr supply) or replacement would be required.

How would you like to proceed from here?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would link to try and repair it myself
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
like
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

You can certainly try to do so. Replacing the power board would be the first step.

You can get that board here: http://bit.ly/2fA0UA0

If that does not help, you'd next need to replace the led array as well.

Just a note however that any repairs at this point will likely be short lived, as other components will continue to fail with age.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.