Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a samsung series 7 7500 tv. We got a new cable box

Customer Question

I have a samsung series 7 7500 tv. We got a new cable box and my tv is not connecting to wifi wireless now.
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: not sure of exact age. a few years old. Have not unplugged it but did do a reset to factory settings and also unplugged router and wifi
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: tv plug difficult to reach due to built in
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: tv works. just cannot connect to wifi. all other devices work connecting to wifi in unit problem started after new cable box etc was installed
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: when i reset the tv to factory settings it does say all setting will be reset expect network settings. my problem is with the network settings
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Is your cable box plugged in with hdmi?
Were there any changes to your home network, modem, or router along with the new box?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
plugged in with hdmi. had a new cable box put in and this is when the problem happened with the wifi connection to the tv. all other devices work with wifi
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when i reset the tv settings the message says that all settings will be reset to factory settings except network settings. That is where the problem lies
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Initially, if you go into the samsung menu, under network/wireless, does it "see" any wifi networks at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for confirming, that indicates a hardware problem, meaning that the tvs internal wifi adapter has actually failed.
This is a pretty common problem, they often fail all on their own just from overheating as they are very small and underpowered for the work they are expected to do within the shielded frame of the tv. In your case, it was most likely damaged from a static shock or power surge when disconnecting/connecting the cable box.

This is something that could be fixed, but isn't worth the cost to repair (or even the time to file a warranty claim), as there are quick and inexpensive alternatives. If close enough to the router you can just plug it in with an ethernet cable. If not close enough you can approximate that same connection via a

powerline ethernet adapter:http://amzn.to/28SDK86 or wifi bridge: http://amzn.to/28PrUHk either of which will link up with your home internet connection and relay that to the tv via the ethernet port.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We will try that connection
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** of luck to you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome (you may close us out with the 5 stars at the top of the page, and still follow up with me here anytime if needed)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I connected the ethernet & now have a connection from the cable box to the tv but still no internet connection. Thoughts?
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Well that is not the same thing.

You need ethernet from the tv's lan port to the ROUTER, not to the cable box.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I stand corrected. It is to the wifi box not cable box
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

So you have an ethernet cable (looks like a phone cord, but the plug is about twice the size) from the back of the tv to the router?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tv shows connection between tv & router but not router & wifi.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

It doesn't need wifi, if physically plugged in with a cord, that is all that matters. Go into the network settings, and it should show the status under Wired.

Does it show network connection? Internet connection?