Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My Panasonic 50" viera red light blink 10 times then pause

Customer Question

My Panasonic 50" viera red light blink 10 times then pause then blink 10 times again repeating. My remote will not switch it on. There was a sound like a stone hitting a window. I looked around the house and returned to tv. To find it not going. I use my tv as my computer monitor.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Panasonic viera 50"
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: will not turn on by button or remote
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Last night.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Was using as computor monitor when there was a cracking sound like a stone hitting the window. Now won't turn on
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 19 days ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. Offhand the 10 blink code on your set points to a hardware failure, which can be caused by multiple things from the power supply board to the Plasma display processing.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 19 days ago.

Are you still having the same problem?

Expert:  Aric replied 19 days ago.

If you're still unable to get the set to power up with the 10 blink code, then this indicates a hardware fault in the set. This problem can happen due to several things. The power supply is a common cause of this problem. This typically will cost you $300-$350 to have repaired.
The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible processing the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The average cost for this type of repair is around $400 parts and labor.
Given that a brand new 50" LED TV can be purchased for about the same cost as repairing this set, it may make more sense to put that same money towards replacement of the set- versus repairs.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.