hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer
Experience:  State Of Hawaii Certified Cable TV installer
40928634

I've lost all my terrestrial channels - are there current

Customer Question

I've lost all my terrestrial channels - are there current issues in London due to the weather?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 12 days ago.

Hello there do you have another TV fed from the same aerial & if so is that getting the terrestrial please?

​Can you check with a neighbour to see if their channels are coming in?

​Is this an attic or roof aerial?

​Do you have an aerial amplifier that could have come unplugged at the wall power?

​Can you see if the aerial cable is damaged or a cable has become unplugged accidentally at the back of your television?

​Roof aerials and associated cables & connectors are exposed to the elements 24x7 and therefore can become damaged & stop working. Also birds landing on the aerial or aerials being rotated away from the transmitter can all cause issues.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I can't check with another tv but I am getting lots of channels. When I tune it just does channels 21 to 68.
I assume a roof aerial but I'm in a block of flats - I have emailed to ask others but no reply yet.
Is it possible to lose some channels and not others?
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 11 days ago.

Hello there if you're in a block of flats then yes it is possible to lose some channels. If the channels are delivered to you using multiple aerials and one aerial is not working then you'll lose some channels. This would be confirmed by other residents also not being able to receive the channels.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Okay - I'll ask the management co to check but I asked one neighbour who has no issues so does this mean it isn't the case?
Thanks

Hello yes it would seem so. Please try to turn off the TV and unplug it from the wall. Wait for 60 seconds and then plug it back in and turn it on.

​Now try to retune and see what happens.

​It's possible that there could be separate aerials feeding different parts of your block of flats so it could just be your side that has the problem Please try checking with a neighbour next door.

​Also if the cable from the wall goes directly into your TV to give you the Freeview signals please make sure that you don't have any lose aerial cable plugs.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thanks. Unfortunately I tried all of that before - nothing is helping.
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 9 days ago.

Thank you let me know how it goes with the neighbour. Also you haven't stated if the aerial goes straight into the TV or are you using a Freeview box?

​Do you have a portable aerial you can try temporarily rather than relying on the flat's aerial?