Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We have 2 newer flat screen TV's (1 LED UHD and 1 plasma).

Customer Question

Hi, we have 2 newer flat screen TV's (1 LED UHD and 1 plasma). At times there are motion artifacts, and on sport events the crawl at the bottom of the screen often jitters as the text moves across the screen. We never saw these artifacts with the older TV's (also flat screen). Our cable service is Comcast and we recently upgraded to the X1 set top boxes. The connection to both TV's is HDMI. Any ideas as to what is causing the jitter/artifacts, and is there a solution?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. The artifacts you're seeing are common with High Def sources (trailers appear when action occurs on the screen, and some action appears blurred). The setting in this TV that affects that is the "Motion Flow" adjustments. There are several settings in that MENU (Smooth, Standard, Clear Plus, etc.). Try experimenting with the various options under Motion Flow to reduce the amount of blur as much as possible. You need to use the original Sony remote to access these settings.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Another sub MENU you can try is the "Cinemotion" settings, which have a similar effect as the Motion Flow. To access these settings, use the Sony remote and go into:

HOME----->SETTINGS---->PICTURE AND DISPLAY---->PICTURE ADJUSTMENTS---->MOTION FLOW---->OK/ENTER and then try the various options.

The CINEMOTION settings are just below MOTION FLOW.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Blur is not the problem. The crawl uneven motion and picture motion artifacts are the problem.
Our older plasma tv does not have these problems with the same high def sources.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Understood. Those settings I pointed to above are still going to be the only user correction for this. Motion artifacts do include blur as well as other anomalies. Use those settings I posted above to correct the issue.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Also saw the older Plasma did not have the same issue, it has nothing to do with the older Plasma as the newer Sony has much higher resolution and also Motion and Cinemotion settings to deal with this.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

I will try to adjust the settings today and will get back to you.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Okay that sounds good. Those are the only adjustments within the TV that will fix this and since you have two with the same problem, it is not a hardware issue- it is within those adjustments.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

If found a setting for "live football" and this helped with the artifacts. The picture adjustments did not a lot once the live football setting was turned on, and the cinemotion setting was already at maximum.

So the picture is improved except for the crawl. It still is fine at times and at other times skips across the screen, as if there is a frame rate conversion error? The settings did not effect the crawl. Any ideas on this?

Thanks.