Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

LG tv has black screen. We have sound. We can also see a

Customer Question

LG tv has black screen. We have sound. We can also see a very dim picture if we stand really close. When we turn it on we see the Lg logo flash in normal colors before going to the black screen.
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: It has not happened before. We unplugged for 5 minutes but not hours.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The menu does not work. Checking another input now
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: same problem.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure. Had a babysitter and came home to this. Thought maybe they messed with settings? Tried to mess with those but hard to see what you are messing with because the picture is so dim
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you tried unplugging the TV for an extended period of time? ...the idea is to simulate a soft RESET.

And then plug back in but use a different outlet.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How long is extended?
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

An hour or so. More if to dissipate residual power.

This is the only easy user doable try/test as all others would be internal to the TV.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok we will try that and let you know.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Yes please and post back with an update when able.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No luck.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Then it would confirm the internal hardware issue.

Bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the LG.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
45LN5700-UHYes and yes
Expert:  Louie replied 4 months ago.

Great on the DIY and appreciate the additional information.

The description of "...black screen...dim picture..." would point to the backlighting system as the most likely suspect. Since this is a LED TV, then the primary suspect would be the LED driver that provides the needed supply voltage to light up the LED arrays.

Also, this particular model has the LED driver co-located on the same board as that of the power supply. With this in mind, proposed approach would then be replacing the power supply board.

On most versions, the Part Number would be something like LG EAY62810701 (3PAGC10124A-R) subject to confirmation on the actual/current power supply board.

Please click HERE to inquire for a replacement board (availability/cost/shipping)