Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I Have a sony kp-57ws520 projector tv a red light keep

Customer Question

i Have a sony kp-57ws520 projector tv a red light keep coming on there is sound but it turn off. caqn you help-me?
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 20 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 20 days ago.

Can you tell me exactly which light you see on the front, and if there is any pattern (flashing a number of times, like 3, pause, 3 more, etc)?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
the red light flash 5 times and go off
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
are you saying in order for us to talk it will cost me another 26.00 dollars?
Expert:  Nathan replied 20 days ago.

You are seeing an automated ad by the site for a call or remote session, this is optional and may be ignored if you wish. If you do want a call, yes that is an additional cost.

To continue here, Please give me a few moments to send a detailed response.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
this was not my understanding when i agreed for the help.
Expert:  Nathan replied 20 days ago.

The fee you already paid covers our chat. It does not cover a phone call, that is separate.

We can continue here, if you prefer, the call is not required so you would not have to pay anything more than you already have.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
how do i solve the problem?
Expert:  Nathan replied 20 days ago.

I'm typing an answer for you here. PLEASE give me a few moments to do so. I'm trying to help, but every time you send another response I have to start all over.

Expert:  Nathan replied 20 days ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a balance error, which can come from multiple different boards (CR, CG, CB, A, G2, or CRT drive). This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2004 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Even for a crt based tv, this set is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400-500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. It is difficult to find a shop that will even work on these anymore however, and parts are virtually impossibel to find.

For a tv of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 13 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.
Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.
Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.