Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

When we turn on our Visio tv, the V is partially there and

Customer Question

When we turn on our Visio tv, the V is partially there and there's a lot of fuzzy color and then tv turns back off.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: We haven't had this problem before. The model number is ***** – A3. The model I'm not sure what you want for that it's a Vizio high definition ?
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The moment I turn it on it turns off in like 5 seconds, so I don't get a Picture on the screen.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: My daughter just noticed it this past weekend. We don't use this TV that often so I would say it was probably working fine the last weekend she was home. She just asked me to get the TV on for her. A lot of times it's been another mode so there weren't sure how to get it back to TV or DirecTV.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I don't believe so. Just of the TVs probably two years old it's a 70 inch Visio and like I said it's in our secondary living room so maybe used at the most once a week.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

We often see these sets develop faults prematurely, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have did this 3 times with no change. I had tried this earlier in the week too.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately that is the only user level correction for this. The TV has a hardware failure internally that is causing the issue. There are no pushbutton fixes. If you're looking to repair the set yourself, you will need a multi-meter and to be able to test the 12 volt feed from the power supply board that drives the LCD controller to see if the power board or LCD controller is at fault. Let me know if you're considering a DIY repair and also what tools/experience you have.

Alternatively, if this is not something you're comfortable with then a shop will generally charge $250 parts and labor for this repair and can be located at the following link:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your advice was the same advice I got for free online.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I can't change the facts. I asked if you have a multi meter and are looking to repair this yourself, that's the only extra info I can offer you.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'll opt out at this point. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks I ill tell my friend who fixes things