Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

No picture, just sound, 37rv53ou about 9 years old, no menu,

Customer Question

no picture, just sound
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 37rv53ou about 9 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no menu, screen is pitch black.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: several days. we turned it on and no picture.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: is it worth trying to get it repaired? or is it time to bury it and start anew?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 17 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 17 days ago.

This kind of problem occurs due to failure of backlight inverter board and replacement of inverter board will fix the problem. Following board supplier offers backlight inverter board repair for $65 plus shipment..

http://www.shopjimmy.com/toshiba/37rv530u

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.