Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Pearl. I have a denon avr-2310CI that is giving me trouble.

Customer Question

Hi, Pearl. I have a denon avr-2310CI that is giving me trouble. After I change the channels a few times using a universal remote I lose sound to all 3 speakers. If i do a quick on/standby recycle it comes back. Also I have lost all function for the center speaker out of jacks on the back of the unit. Thanks. Steve
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And how long has this been happening with the channels?
Customer: Panasonic TH-65PF10. This situation has be going on for a few weeks. I have done the factory reset on the Denon unit but to no avail.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't believe the problem is with the dvr. I've unplugged it to reset and it seems fine. I believe the problem is with the denon receiver. I have 3 speakers attached to the denon in the back. If any of the speakers are attached to the Front A outputs they work, up until I change the channels a few times then they cut out. If a speaker is attached to the center output I get no sound regardless. This has been going on for 3 weeks.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no. thank u.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

When you're changing channels is this on a cable/satellite box (dvr)?
Do you ever have issues with other content/devices, such as changing through shows on netflix, skipping chapters on a dvd, etc?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Have not used anything but the dvr since the trouble started
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Do you have anything else that you can test with it, please?
Does it ever cut out on the internal fm radio?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Blue ray?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Yes that would be fine to test.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Blue ray DVD is working. Including the center speaker. I'm jumping around with the dvd DVD remote and everything is working fine
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

OKay that indicates that the problem is with the dvr, which is very common.

Unplug power to the dvr for 60+ seconds to reboot, and let me know if that helps.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok. Did that. Back to square 1. No center speaker output and loss of all speakers after a few channel changes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
U still with me Nathan?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Nathan? We have made no progress. Little help please.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Nathan u have until 930a to respond or I will cancel payment.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
935a
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Can you tell me what connection you are using from the box to the denon?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what do we do now? We still have the same problem.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The dvr box? I have hdmi cable between the dvr and denon receiver
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Okay it is possible you have a faulty hdmi cable, and it is still quite possible the box is faulty, the reset was just a first step.

Next step is to plug the box into the tv directly (you'll be listening through tv speakers) and see if it operates correctly that way.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have no tv speakers.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Okay, that makes diagnostics more difficult, and we'd then contact the cable co to have the box replaced as it is by far the most likely failure point here.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I lose sound and I turn the dvr off and on, no fix. When I do the same with the receiver the sound comes back.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Yes but this comes more often from a communication and formatting issue with the box than with the receiver, so replacing it is the next step. It is possible the problem will continue, but we need to know with certainty that we are starting with a good working box to move forward. Since you can’t test the box elsewhere, this is the next best step.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do u explain the center speaker not working for the dvr and working for the DVD player?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

There are many variables for that, one significant one is that the dvr is not outputting center channel audio for the content you are watching. It can also be a decoding or formatting issue.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
start with a new dvr box? The receiver is about 3.5 years old. U think it is ok?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

I really can't say yet until we start with a new box, that is the necessary next step here. That is actually a 6-7 year old receiver, and it may be part of the problem but we cannot conclude anything until you replace the box first, please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm headed to att U-verse store to swap out my main dvr receiver?
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Yes, please (the dvr box that is connected to the denon)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Right. On my way. I'll be in touch. Thanks Nathan.
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** luck!

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.