Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Sanyo FVF5044M TV picture goes black after a period of time.

Customer Question

Sanyo FVF5044M TV picture goes black after a period of time. Turning the unit off and on again restores the picture but goes out again after a period of time.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sanyo is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model FVF5044M less than 2 years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Did not check to see if menu worked. Use TV on cable/tv input. Did not check other inputs.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just recently occurred. Nothing of note happened prior.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 16 days ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. When you mention the "cable/tv" input, are you referring to the coaxial connection on the TV (no cable box) or a cable box connected to the set perhaps via HDMI?

Additionally, the reason for the questions is because the screen going black can be caused by either the "Source" (meaning the cable BOX or HDMI cable) or the TV itself.

So we need to know specifically what is connected to the TV, and also once the screen goes black, please grab the original Sanyo remote and press MENU. We need to know if the set's own MENU appears. This rules out the external connections.

Let me know what you find and we can proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 16 days ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 16 days ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Source to TV is via coax cable from an existing cable box...no HDMI. Another TV connected to the same source works with no issue. Currently, TV is disconnected with back off so it will be difficult to determine if menu works.
Expert:  Aric replied 16 days ago.

Okay, we cannot tell anything with the back removed at this point, as we need the set plugged into the wall and we need to get the screen to go black, then check for the following:

1) Does the MENU display?

2) When the screen goes black are the backlights in the screen lit?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Will do. May take a little time.
Expert:  Aric replied 16 days ago.

Okay no problem, simply reply back when able. I am on and offline throughout the day. All testing inside of the set requires a multi-meter, a source connected to the TV, and then to check the status of MENU and backlights first, then use the multi-meter to test the LED output pins on the power supply.