Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

What causes a tv to make a clicking sound when I plug it in?

Customer Question

Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

- What are the original symptoms of TV that prompted you to replace all those boards?
- Is there any change in TV symptoms after boards replacement?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It was given to me. It done the same as when I got it. I was just changing the boards that could cause that. There is a green light on the logic board that blinks with the clicks..
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
When I unhook the logic board from the power board I here the TVs start up tune.
Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

OK, did you get identical replacement boards having same part numbers?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'm thinking the main board from shopjimmy was not the exact but one they said would work on it.
Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

OK, can you please get me the complete model code written on back of TV?

Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

Also, what is the part number of old and new main boards?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
BN96-14800A is what was on there and they sent me BN94-03775D
Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

OK, working on it, give me 5 minutes please.

- Can you please get me the complete model code written on back of TV?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'm sending a picture of the back of the tv
Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for the info, it seems TV doesn't boot up fully and resets during boot up process and reboots again, this process goes on and you hear relay click on every time TV reboots.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yeah
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
After about a min or 2 it's stops all together. Have to unplug it to get it to click again.
Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

There are two possible causes for this symptoms, either main processor chip on main board isn't booting up OR the display panel/ screen is short and protection circuitry shuts off the boot up processor.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok so what board do I change?
Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

As you mentioned the clicking process stops after 2 minutes that indicates main board is working and display panel/ screen is bad that need to be replaced, sorry about this news.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yeah the clicking stops and have to be unplugged and re plugged ro get it to do anything.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Shouldn't it still have sound if the screen was out?
Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

Please get the part number off of sticker pasted on metal frame of display panel to search/ google it to get price info that will help you to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on replacement TV. Display panel part number would be like BN96-12676A or some thing similar.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok so it's not the 2 different main boards?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

No, a short display panel could damage the sustain boards, y-main and x-main, that is why protection circuit instantly shuts off power on process.

Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thank you.
Expert:  Shahid replied 16 days ago.

You're welcome, if you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Shahid I ordered another main board. The same part number I pulled off of the TV not the alt part shopjimmy sent me. Now the tv has stopped clicking when I plug it in. I can turn it on with the remote but it turns right back off. What now could it be?
Expert:  Shahid replied 13 days ago.

OK, please check Va and Vs volts output of power supply board with multimeter as these volts go to y-main and x-main boards. If volts are available then try old y-main and x-main board one by one and reply back with the result.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Va is 55Vs does not give me a accurate reading
Expert:  Shahid replied 12 days ago.

What vols appear at Vs?

It should be approx 200V