Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

It won't turn on. Westinghouse TW-61601-K042A. Hasn't done

Customer Question

It won't turn on.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Westinghouse TW-61601-K042A. Hasn't done this in the past. Had a brief power outage earlier.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Nothing works. It does not turn on. The red light does not light.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just started. TV was turned off when we had a brief power outage around 6 hours ago.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc); this would be consistent with the outage you experienced.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Even if the outage had not happened, the tv is significantly (over double) its service life for this brand.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, for under the $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks. I'll follow your advice.
Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you.

If looking to replace, I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example: http://amzn.to/2dYWKT8

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv: http://bit.ly/1fDPJ99

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend 30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,