Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Screen is flashing.... mostly black and then about 1/2 sec

Customer Question

Screen is flashing.... mostly black and then about 1/2 sec of the tv show pops on
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Samsung UN46EH5300 46-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV yrs old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: 2 yrs
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: i was watching tv and then it started today
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: my samsung DVR also has not been working same age as the tv but not sure if it was connect right by the tecnician
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

If you bring up the samsung menu screens, does that menu flash in and out too?

Is sound working continuously, or does it cut out?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It just flashes
Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

What about the sound?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Sound will be a short burst every 30 min or so
Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

Okay thank you for checking.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, this set is nearly at the end of its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can not pull up the menu
Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

Yes I understand, I sent you a detailed explanation above. If you can please scroll up you should be able to see it, but let me know if I need to resend.