Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a JVC Jle55sp4000b that has lost picture. it has

Customer Question

I have a JVC Jle55sp4000b that has lost picture. it has lights in the rear and audio, but all I see on the screen is a fuzzy light shadow that covers 1/2 or 1/3 of the screen
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your JVC is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2 years old, jle55sp400b
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it was off. when I turned the tv on, no picture
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. In order to help, I need to ask for some more info here:

1) Does the set still have sound?

2) If you grab the original remote and press MENU, does the MENU display clearly and normally?

3) If you shine a flashlight against the screen at a 45 degree angle and look closely, can you see shadows of the programming behind the screen?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1. yes it has sound
2. you cant see the menu
3. yes
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. This indicates a failure with the set's backlighting, which is powered by the power supply board internally. I realize this is bad news but generally this require replacement of the power supply/backlight board to fix it (as there are no settings that will shut the backlight off).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

If that does not work, then please double check that model number off of the back of the TV (since it's one or two digits off and therefore not showing up in any searches).

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Are you still with me here?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply, but it's been 10 minutes since I posted those steps. If the screen is still not backlit then the power supply/LED driver board needs to be replaced, which is on average a $225 repair on this set. In this case, if you'd like, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Alternatively, if this is something that you're looking to try to repair yourself, then i would need you to double check that model number off of the back of the set, postback here with it, and then I can search for the board for your TV.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.