Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My tv remote will not turn on the tv, but after i wait 3 or

Customer Question

hi, my tv remote will not turn on the tv, but after i wait 3 or 4 minutes, the remote(s) optimum included will work....
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: samsung 50 inch plasma...2010ish im trying to locate number to tv
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: pn50c430a1d
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: its justi cant turn on teh tv with either remote, but after time they work and everything else works
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: oh and when i turn on teh tv fronm the tv itself and not teh cable box, teh screen flickers....i dont know if that helps
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 17 days ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems.

When you first try to power up the set using it's own power button (let's omit the remotes for now), you mentioned the screen flickers. Is there also a clicking sound that accompanies the flicker?

Expert:  Aric replied 17 days ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

Expert:  Aric replied 17 days ago.

We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 17 days ago.

If the issue goes beyond that - then this does indicate a hardware fault starting to occur in the set, with the power board or Mainboard that requires repairs. There are no settings/adjustments that will cause the TV to shut itself down. The only other attempt at a quick fix, is to leave the set unplugged for several hours in the hopes that it resets. The average cost for this repair is in the $200-$250 range (depending on which board is weakening/failing) and if you'd like you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 17 days ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?