Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

VO47LFHDTV30A their was a loud pop and it went dead, 5-6

Customer Question

VO47LFHDTV30A their was a loud pop and it went dead
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 5-6 years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I get no standby light, it won't turn on.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It just suddenly happened an hour ago. No previous issues
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that's it
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this tv is significantly past (over double) its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I want to test the power supply board to see if it is the issue. The fuse has continuity. I want to test to output (ohms) to the main board but I don't know which pins to measure. There isn't a clear legend. Can you help me with this?Tom Fisher
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

No, I really cannot, that is beyond the scope of the diagnostic service I'm able to do with you here. The pins should be marked, but vizio product quality is always suspect so they may not be there, and as with most of their products there is no service documentation to refer to either. If this were not the case, I'd be able to give you more detail. Even for field repairs, techs often don't bother with testing on these, they systematically replace the commonly failed boards or suggest replacement of the entire tv due to cost.

You should have a 3, 5, and 12vdc output at a minimum on some of those pins though, and if any of those are low or missing, replacing the power board would be the approach here as a first step. The bigger issue though will be finding parts, most everything is unavailable at this point, though you can get repair kits with some of the most commonly failed components if you are comfortable replacing all of the capacitors for example.