Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have the Hisense 42" 1080 tv and the red light is

Customer Question

I have the Hisense 42" 1080 tv and the red light is blinking, remote control will not do anything. Unplugged it and that does not help. the screen remains black. Once, the red light stopped blinking and tv worked perfect until I turned if off, now blinking constantly.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: Yes, unplugged it over night, thought it would help, now it just keeps blinking.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Not sure about the menu, I have a blank screen, got it to work once when the light stopped blinking, picture was perfect.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This started a few days ago, but it stopped blinking so I just left the tv on, I should've left it turned on but 2 days ago I unplugged it over night, now it's just blinking !!
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it possibly to turn on tv manually, is there a switch, tried the one on the side, thought it might do it but still nothing !!
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

Could you get me the full model number of the tv, please?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Here's the full model number of the tv: F42V77C.
Thanks, ***** ***** any advice !!
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I am not at home now, I'm at the office, for $35, I'm still not sure if I can have my problem solved, so if you can give me some info I would appreciate it !! Thanks !!
Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

Great, thank you for the info, Jos.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These Hisense tvs are built for a low price point, not for quality or reliability, so it is actually normal and expected for them to last just a few years at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the side of the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand, in the $300 or under range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks I'll try the above info, would probably be cheaper to buy a new one, but worth the try !! Have a good day !!
Expert:  Nathan replied 18 days ago.

Yes it is always worth a shot, the reset process certainly doesn't cost anything but a bit of your time.

Best of luck to you!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,