Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I was given an old & O TV which I see by the Owner's Manual

Customer Question

Hi, - I was given an old B & O TV which I see by the Owner's Manual that it is Beolink 1000. Never worked properly, and any evident repairs over a period has cost. My question is : - is it worthwhile asking you to repair, what am I looking at costwise to bring this beautiful machine back to working as it should. I am a Pensioner and cannot afford too much. Seems such a waste to dispose of it. Your advice please. Val.
JA: There is no charge to talk to me. But I'm not the tv technician. What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: I see it is Beovision MX 4500, and an elderly friend who gave it to me says it's about 15 yrs old???
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Rarely. Yes, it works sometimes after huge efforts to get it going, like even giving it a good 'bash' on the side.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Long time. Don't know. Friend who owned it says there had been a problem early on, but at 93 yrs. he doesn't recall the problem. A TV guy over here cleaned up a 'board' with leakage; worked for a few weeks and then nothing. Labour cost $300 and problem $30!!
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that I really like this B & O; never be able to buy. If you think you can bring it back to life, then cost etc. I would need to know. Do you have a pick up service? It weighs a ton. Thanks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

Unfortunately there is no practical service for these. Even with the prior repairs, the tv is significantly past its service life, there are no parts available for them, and labor is not cost effective, as you've already experienced. Most techs won't work on these tvs in the first place or aren't qualified to do so. While it was a nice unit when new, its time has passed and it is worth no further investment. You would easily pay double to fix it at this point (even to try, which may not help) than you would to buy a brand new tv. Further, even if you fix the current issue, other parts are so far past their designed lifespan that it will continue to have more and more failures.

Your best option in this case truly would be to move on from it and purchase a new flatscreen tv with a warranty.

That said, I can help find a repair shop, or recommend replacements, if you'd like.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 months ago.

It is imperative that you reply back to me here, on your original question only, please.

Posting new/duplicate questions costs you more every time you open another, and hinders my ability to reply.

Please reply back here on this page when ready.