Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I am trying to connect my new Sony Bravia TV to my Sony STR

Customer Question

I am trying to connect my new Sony Bravia TV to my Sony STR DE 197 amplifier that is connected to speakers.When I connect audio cables to each and select "setup>speakers>audio system", the TV does not transmit to the DE 197 receiver. The instruction manual suggests I use an audio cable that has red/white plug that goes into the DE 197 and a single connector that plugs into the back of the TV. Will this work and what port on the back of the TV should I plug the audio cable into?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

What is the model of the tv?
What inputs are you using on the tv (Cable/satellite box via hdmi, dvd via composite video, built in apps, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
KDL 55w800b, cox cable hdmi
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sony DVD connected to TV with HDMI, Av cables routed from DVR to Amp, the speakers work fine
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

That is the issue, you cannot mix digital (hdmi) and analog (rca) connections, so you wont be able to get sound from cox through the tv.

What you could do is run a set of red/white from the cox box to the amp, but that still wouldn't give you sound from the smart functions on the tv like netflix.

For that you need an optical output, but the amp is too old to even accept that.

Updating to a new receiver is probably your best long term option.

The way around this is to use the Digital Audio Out port on the back of the tv. This is a square type port with a little flap/door over it and a red light inside. You connect a fiber optical cable to it. You'll need to purchase a digital to analog converter: http://amzn.to/1VhPiQx . This will convert the optical connection to an analog stereo connection (red/white rca ports). To that, you can then connect rca cables to the amp.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.