Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

52lg50. Power shuts off just as picture is displayed and it

Customer Question

52lg50. Power shuts off just as picture is displayed and it continuously cycles on and off. Took the tv apart, cleaned power supply, and put it back in...tested tv with faraday cage removed and back cover of and it works. Reassemble fully, and the problem returned.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: LG 52LG50, and about 7 years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No..nothing works
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Started yesterday. Turned the tv off, and it turned back on and started power cycling
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can i use the tv without the faraday cage? LOL
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

- Can you please elaborate faraday cage in this TV and what board of TV is under that cage?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a metal cage around the power supply board....perhaps it's an EMI cage, but I understand it to be a faraday cage based on my research on this problem online. All I know for sure is that the tv worked with the cage and the back cover removed, but does but with them installed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I started to disassemble the tv again, and took out just the 4 screws holding the stand...for some reason,I decided to try the tv again, as these screws were silver, unlike the black screws everywhere else on the tv, and it's working again. Until it stops working, I'm calling this case closed. :)
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

Sounds good, please reply back if problem reoccurs to troubleshoot the issue.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually, now I'm having the opposite problem....when I turn the tv off, it turns itself back on... :( it does a picture now, which is an improvement, but I have to unplug it to turn it off
Expert:  Shahid replied 6 months ago.

OK, if you fix the screws back on cage/ board, does this problem persist?