Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

The TV does not stay on. It only stays on for a few seconds

Customer Question

The TV does not stay on. It only stays on for a few seconds and then shuts off.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Vizio M322i-B1 It is several years old but hardly ever used.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The TV doesn't stay on long enough for the menu to come up. It only has one input, a cable box.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I tried to watch football last Sunday and this happened. At first I thought the batteries in my remote were dead, but that wasn't the problem. Nothing happened right before I tried to turn it on. It worked fine the weekend before. I use the TV mostly to watch football.
JA: Anything else you want the tv expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2014 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising for this brand. These vizios are some of the lowest quality tvs on the market, being built for a low price point, not for reliability. Regardless of actual usage levels, it is normal and expected for them to last just a few years at best.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty, from a more reputable brand in the under $200 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.